inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward

Until There Was You

Until There Was You - Kristan Higgins The second I saw Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins listed on NetGalley, I downloaded and read it. Seriously: right that second. If you know me, you know Kristan Higgins is on my short list of absolute favorite authors. She has a way of creating characters that matter. Unfortunately – this one does not stand out to me as one of her better stories.Posey owns an architectural salvaging company (say what? I didn’t know that existed – really cool job!), has a kinda sorta boyfriend (also known as The Jerk-Off Booty Call) and a varied but close-knit family. Something is missing though, and when Liam Murphy (high school crush and heartbreaker) moves back to town she gets a little worried that something might be him.So – the whole bad boy from high school turned HEA love story plot line is usually enjoyable but kinda overdone. One really great addition in this story is the fact that Liam has a teenage daughter (he is a widower) and their relationship is fantastic – realistic and loving. I really enjoyed watching them interact with each other. It also added a cautiousness that Liam probably wouldn’t have otherwise had that lended itself well to his growing relationship with Posey. Things moved at a nice pace from tolerance to friendship to more. However – the chemistry was seriously lacking for me. Even though I liked the characters, I couldn’t connect with them. Definitely not what I’ve come to expect from people created by Kristan.Also, Posey was adopted. This continues to be a factor (at least in her mind) throughout her life. What the what? I have to confess that this kinda thing offends me to a certain degree. I’m adopted and I basically never think about it. Ever. My family is my family. Period. Posey, however, feels like certain members of her family continually see her as an outsider or interloper or whatever. I mean, come on. There are people in my extended family I’d prefer not to have to rub elbows with during the holidays but I have never - NEVER – been made to feel by anyone that I wasn’t a part of the family. The fact that Posey can claim a closeness with hers and still feel on some level an outcast strikes me as ridiculous. Anyway, end soapbox.So, while I did enjoy reading the book, it failed to live up to most of Kristan Higgins’ previous books. So, while I still think it is worth reading, it won’t be a book I recommend too often since there are so many other Higgins books to push on people instead! (I’m looking at you Just One of the Guys and All I Ever Wanted.)