inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward
A Lily Among Thorns - Rose Lerner A Lily Among Thorns is the second book I've read by Rose Lerner. Back in January, I read and loved her first book In For A Penny. So, when I saw that A Lily Among Thorns was available on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to review it.The plot of this book didn't appeal to me quite as much as her first book. Here we have Serena and Solomon. When Solomon was younger, his friends tried to get him to lose his virginity via prostitute. Yep, you guessed it - the prostitute was Serena. Well, he couldn't go through with it so he just shoved his little purse of money at her and took off like the terrified little virgin he was. This changed the whole course of Serena's life y'all, because that money? There was a lot of it. She ends up opening her own inn. Years later, she and Solomon cross paths again and chaos ensues - lost jewelry, spies, long lost brothers...you name it. As they become more involved in the events going on around them, they also become more involved with each other. They have some fierce chemistry.I usually don't pick up too many historical romance novels featuring prostitutes, mistresses and the like. For Rose Lerner I made an exception. Even though the plot is fairly complex and non-stop...I still found myself losing interest in what would happen next - just didn't get that involved with the action side of the story. I'm not saying it wasn't exciting...but spies and family drama aren't exactly rare plot lines in the world of historical romance.That being said, I was about halfway through the book when I realized that no way was I putting it down until I was finished. Rose Lerner has a way of making her characters matter. Serena was vibrant and self-confident, Solomon was slightly nerdy and much less self aware. I couldn't get enough of them together - their interactions and dialogue. Even though I didn't care as much about what was happening in the background of the plot, I was still crazy invested in these characters.So, if you're a fan of the genre and/or stories that are very much character driven - this is the book for you! While I had a few more issues with this book than I did her first release, I still very much believe this book is worth reading. I can't wait to see what Rose writes next!