inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward

Touch of Power

Touch of Power - Maria V. Snyder Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder is the first book in the new Healers trilogy. It is set to be released in December, but when I saw it available for review on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it! I am a huge fan of all of Maria’s adult fantasy books even though none of them have lived up to her first release, Poison Study. Until now that is! I absolutely loved Touch of Power and will definitely be adding it to my list of fantasy favorites.Avry is the last of the Healers. After a plague was “allowed” to run rampant through the population, the Healers were blamed for not doing their jobs and were hunted down and killed. Avry has managed to hide her abilities and fly under the radar – until now. She ends up being kidnapped by a small band of rogues. Luckily for her, they want to use her power instead of killing her.All five of the men have distinct personalities (if not actual deep characterization). The leader, Kerrick, is by far the most intriguing. Since he is such a big part of the story, he does have quite a bit of depth. I really enjoyed his character – and especially enjoyed the way he and Avry interacted. I also loved Belen, the second in command. He definitely had a more enjoyable personality and he and Avry’s friendship grew quickly.When Avry finds out who her kidnappers/friends/define them what you will want her to heal, she is very adamant against helping them. Circumstances change dramatically throughout the book though, lots of surprises are in store both for the reader and for Avry. Who knows how things might end up? Prepare for a story that takes you through kidnappings, childhood memories, long-lost sisters, lots and lots of caves, zombies and crazy killer flowers! Lots of adventure – and even a well-developed and satisfying romance towards the end.Seriously y’all, I loved this book. Definitely back to the quality of Poison Study – the highest praise I could give it. Avry is an easy character to love and her fellow travelers (with the possible exception of Kerrick) will grow on you quickly. It didn’t take long at all for me to become invested in the story. This is definitely a book I’ll be buying at the first available opportunity and will reread in the future. I absolutely can’t wait to see what happens next!So, whether or not you’ve read Maria’s books in the past, this is one I highly recommend picking up if you’re a fantasy fan!