inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward

Cross My Heart

Cross My Heart - Sasha Gould Cross My Heart by Sasha Gould hasn’t gotten a lot of hype that I’ve seen. Let me tell you: it deserves more! The lyrical writing makes the atmosphere so rich and engaging. The plot is full of masterful twists and turns, most of which I didn’t see coming. Cross My Heart is definitely a book I won’t be forgetting anytime soon!Laura has spent the last few years in a convent. When she is suddenly sent for at home, she can’t wait to get there! She is thrilled at the chance to spend time with her sister, Beatrice. Unfortunately, she has been sent for because Beatrice drowned in the Venice canals. Now Laura is expected to take her place and marry nasty old dude. When she finds a way to get out of it – she takes it without fully weighing the cost. The secrets she is about to uncover make her wonder if it was worth it…Y’all, the plot twists that Sasha Gould weaved into Cross My Heart are truly awesome. This novel kept me engaged from start to finish, I couldn’t get enough of Laura and the people in her life! Who was really on her side? Who wasn’t? All the questions I had kept the pages turning.The setting was brilliant as well – Venice is so gorgeous and lush and exotic throughout the story. I love the life that Sasha Gould breathed into it.And, to keep the praise coming: Laura was a great character as well. I thought she was developed well – her thoughts and actions stayed consistent to who she was. Considering how plot-driven this novel is, I was thrilled that the characterization didn’t suffer. Well, mostly…Freaking insta-love. No matter how much I loved all the characters, not having enough relationship interaction and development is a big no-no. In fact, I’d say that this one thing is keeping Cross My Heart off my list of favorites. I was rooting for Laura to get her man, of course. But I was extremely let down by how quickly they fell for each other.So, other than the one (albeit big) misstep, I fell for Cross My Heart. The writing was gorgeous and the plot wonderful. I definitely recommend this one to historical and mystery fans!