inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #1)

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin has a crazy intense and original plot, you guys. Lots of threads, lots of motivations, lots of complications. I was seriously impressed by the fact that it was all equally captivating! N.K. Jemisin rocked it.There might have been a lot going on, but The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was not an endless info dump. A lot of fantasy can give you way too much information way too quickly, but that is not the case here. N.K. Jemisin wrote smart. We get everything a little at a time. Much easier to process and follow that way.Yeine Darr is an outcast. When she is called to Sky, the capitol, she is pretty sure it is basically a death sentence. Well – surprise surprise! Instead of getting the (literal) ax, she becomes one of three heirs to the kingdom. She has a lot of politics and political motivations to learn – and quickly. Will the help of some enslaved gods, she might just be able to stay alive long enough to figure out why this is happening to her.The world building in The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is fascinating. Seriously good stuff. Really intricate and well thought out. The gods all have individual personalities that tie in with their part in creating (and/or sustaining) the world. From the more maternal instincts to the sexy vibe feelings, Yeine reacts to them in markedly different ways. There are even some creepily erotic sexytimes thrown into the mix.I don’t really have much to add on the negative front. As is the case with many plot-driven novels, I didn’t get quite as into the characterization as I might have wished. I don’t really have any specific complaints about the way things were written. I just wish I could have related to Yeine more than I did. Still – I was rooting for her from the first page of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and I never stopped!Basically, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin is wicked interesting and impossible not to get into. Definitely a book to pick up if you’re a big adult fantasy reader! I’m definitely looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy.