inconceivably

Books
Larry McMurtry
Lord of the Changing Winds
Rachel Neumeier
Hyperion (Hyperion Series #1)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë, Mary Augusta Ward

The Idiot (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)

The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear While I can definitively attest to the fact that The Prince, who the book is named for, is indeed AN IDIOT, I think he can rest easy knowing that he is in good company. Seriously. I think every single personage introduced into the story, whether they only appear briefly or are prominent characters, are as completely off the deep end as The Idiot himself.For about the first half of the book (give or take), I kinda felt bad for thinking that the Prince was an idiot. Don’t get me wrong, I DID think it, I just didn’t think it out loud. He is such a nice guy, so innocent and non-judgmental. He was always ready to lend a hand, whether the person seeking aide needed money, lodging or a good marriage proposal. He really manages to get himself into quite the pickle. He always means well, but his best efforts always turn out the most disastrous results. I don’t bring up all these things and insult all the characters to say that I hated the book. Far from it, in fact. Watching all these kooks engage in this soap opera-like fiasco was highly entertaining. The whole story honestly is a soap opera, but it’s a good one. An intellectual soap opera, if you will. Constantly throughout the story are philosophical interruptions and asides, often showing that The Idiot does have some brains buried in his happy-go-lucky-everyone-is-nice-just-like-me mind. Even though all these people confess the worst of themselves to him, the Prince constantly refuses to do anything but see the best in them.Anyway, I don’t want to ramble on too much more about it, because I don’t want to give away any plot details. I went into the book knowing absolutely nothing, and I definitely think that is the most entertaining way to read it. This was my first Russian novel, and I highly enjoyed it. Definitely made me want to give Dostoyevsky another go one of these days.